- 1 tablespoon chili powder*
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes*
- 1 tablespoon light butter (I use Land O’Lakes)
- 16 oz wheat gnocchi (I used Wegmans brand, but DeLallo, Gia Russa and other brands make it as well)
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef**
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup fat free sour cream
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- Chopped cilantro, to taste (optional)
*If you want to cut back on the spiciness of this dish you can reduce the quantities of these spices in the taco seasoning mix to your taste
**if you replace the ground beef with 99% ground turkey breast a serving will be 6 SP on the WW Freestyle program
- In a small dish, stir together the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and red pepper flakes until well combined to form a taco seasoning. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the gnocchi to the pan and stir to coat with the butter. Spread the gnocchi into a single layer and cook for 2 minutes until the bottoms begin to turn golden. Stir the gnocchi and cook on the other side for 2 more minutes. Remove the gnocchi to a side plate and reserve for later use.
- Reduce the burner heat to medium and place the ground beef in the hot skillet. Cook the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown. Add the onion, garlic and the taco seasoning from step 1. Stir together until well combined and continue to cook until the beef is browned and the onions are softened. Drain if necessary.
- Add the salsa, beef broth, corn kernels and the reserved gnocchi to the beef mixture in the skillet. Stir together and turn the heat up until the mixture comes to a boil. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low to simmer for 5-8 minutes until the gnocchi is softened and the liquid is somewhat reduced/absorbed.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the sour cream and about half of the shredded cheddar. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar over the top and cover with the lid for 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired and serve.
WEIGHT WATCHERS SMARTPOINTS:
8 per (1 cup) serving (SPs calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com) OR 6 SP if you use ground turkey breast or ground chicken breast
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PLUS:
9 per (1 cup) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)