- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2½ pounds (1.2 kg) beef stew meat, cubed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound (480 g) yellow potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, peeled and chunked
- 3 cups (750 ml) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped freh parsley
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the stewing meat generously with salt and pepper. Add to the hot oil and cook until golden brown, for about 4-5 minutes.
Remove cooked beef from the skilllet and transfer to 6-quart (6 L) slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, beef broth, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and blck pepper and stir well.
Cover the pot and cook on low-heat setting for 7 hours.
Open the lid and remove 1/3 cup (80 ml) of cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Pour into medium bowl, the add all-purpose flour and whisk until smooth.
Pout the flour mixture back to the pot and stir well. Cover the cooker and cook on high-heat setting for a further 30 minutes.
Turn off the slow cooker and open the lid. Stir in peas. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Pour beef stew into soup bowls. Serve hot.