- 3 pounds (1.44 kg) stewing beef, cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 14 oz (420 ml) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 3-4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) beef stock
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add stewing beef and brown on all sides. Remove browned meat from the skillet and set aside.
Add the onion and garlic to th skillet and saute until onion is osften.
Add all ingredients to 6-quart (6 l) slow cooker. Stir well.
Cover the pot and cook over low-heat setting for 7-8 hours or until beef and vegetable are tender.
Turn off the slow cooker and open the lid. Discard the bay leaf. Stir well beef stew before serving. Serve over cooked rice.